As an administrator for the AT&T SM Collaborate service with permissions to manage sites within your company, you can manage intercom groups. When you create an intercom group, authorized members of the group can page all group members. If group members have phones that support paging, their phones answer the intercom call in speakerphone mode, and the member who initiated the call can talk to all the members.
Note: Phones that don’t support paging can still receive intercom group calls, but the group member must answer the phone rather than using speakerphone mode.
For example, an elementary school might have an intercom group made up of all classroom staff. All classroom phones are added to this group. Authorized users who can initiate an intercom page, such as the principal and other employees in the main office, can call the intercom group to make an announcement to classroom staff through their phones.
The Intercom Group feature is available only with the Enhanced Voice Features bundle.
Create an intercom group
To create an intercom group, enter intercom group profile information, choose the privacy settings, and choose the caller ID setting. To add users who initiate a group page (called originators) and users who receive the page (called targets), see Manage an intercom group.
Enter profile information
- On the Collaborate homepage, click Select a site or Switch sites, and then search for or select a site to manage.
- On the left menu, expand Call handling, and then click Intercom Group. The Intercom Group manage page appears.
- Click Create. The Intercom Group page appears.
- Click Advanced mode. The Manage an intercom group profile page appears.
- Enter the following profile information:
- An intercom group name
- A 10-digit phone number or an extension
- Select a department
- Check the privacy options you want for the intercom group:
– Enable directory privacy—Excludes the intercom group information from the company directory.
– Enable intercom group extension dialing privacy—Excludes the intercom group extension from the auto attendant extension dialing search.
– Enable intercom group name dialing privacy—Excludes the intercom group name from the auto attendant name dialing search.
- Under Caller ID to display, do 1 of these things:
– To display the intercom group extension as the caller ID, select Intercom group.
– To display the extension of the user who placed the call, select Originator with prefix and choose a prefix that will appear before the extension and be visible to those receiving the intercom group call. For example, you might use prefix 000 to indicate that the intercom call is urgent.
- Click Save. The Intercom Group page appears with your new group.
Manage an intercom group
You can add or remove users who can initiate a group page (originators) and receive intercom group pages (targets). You can also delete an intercom group.
To change intercom group profile information, follow the steps in the Enter profile information section.
Add intercom group users
- Follow steps 1 and 2 in the Enter profile information section.
- On the intercom Group manage page, below the group you want to manage, click the Edit icon. The manage page for that intercom group appears.
- Click Users. The Intercom group users page appears.
- Under Originators or Targets, click Assign users. The Assign users window opens.
- Search for and select the users you want, and then click Assign. You receive a success message.
Delete an intercom group
- On the Intercom Group manage page, next to the intercom group you want to delete, click the Delete icon.
- When you’re prompted to confirm the deletion, click Confirm.